Marjorie Youngren Team's Blog
A patio is an outdoor living space that you can get the most out of year round. It’s no surprise that a patio is a hallmark of a condo or a rental space. Love entertaining? You’ll appreciate the extra seating and dining space that you gain with a patio.
The following tips on how you can use your patio year round could help you to find space large enough to equal another room at your home. Get ready to let go of the blank patio design and welcome yourself to a world of outdoor living space wonder.
Great patio design ideas
- Add a padded wicker sofa, two padded wicker chairs and a small round table to your patio. Place the chairs along the sides of the table. Enjoy reading your favorite magazines and watching streamed videos while you sit on the patio. You could also just sit outside and chat with a friend.
- Install a screen around your patio and add a space heater, so you can spend time outdoors during colder months. You might have fun sitting outside watching snow fall out of the sky.
- Place plants or flowers on tables located at the edges of your patio. Hanging baskets filled with plants or flowers also work.
- Hang a decorative wind chime at one far end of your patio.
- Put your barbecue grill several feet away from your patio, but close enough for you to easily enjoy grilling and entertaining guests.
- Build a wood divider at one end of your patio and grow a rose vine throughout the divider.
Fun Things To Do On Your Patio
After you add furniture and décor to your patio, welcome company over to enjoy the space with you. One of the more relaxing things that you can do is to hang out with friends, chatting about recent events in your lives. Your kids might have loads of fun playing with their toys or friends on the patio. Other fun activities that you can engage in on your patio include:
- Book club meetings – Depending on the size of your patio, you might be able to host 8 to 10 book club members without having to use indoor space.
- Family get togethers – Have an overflow of guests during major holidays? Invite guests to hang out on the patio and not just inside your home.
- Cookouts – Place a record player or iPod on your patio and play everyone’s favorite music while you laugh, talk and enjoy grilled food.
- Work from home – All it takes is a laptop, a chair and a table to knock out several hours of work right at home.
- Reading – If you love to read, you’ll love spending time on your front or back patio getting absorbed in the pages of a great book.
- Meditating – Talk about getting grounded. Not only will you be stilling your thoughts, you’ll be tuning into your higher self while outside in nature.
- Exercising – A first floor patio makes for a great exercise area.
- Hanging out with children and grand kids – Use your patio as another reason to play and spend time with your children and grand kids.
- Romantic meals – Remember those two wicker chairs and table? Top the table off with a scented candle and treasure a private meal with your partner or spouse. The memories could prove lasting.
- Spend time with pets – After you take your pets for a walk, relax with them on your patio.
Clearly, beautiful patio designs aren’t your only options. How you use your patio is also important. Host one family get together on your patio and you might decide that you don’t need to pay a contractor to add another room to your home. You can,instead, step onto your screened in or open design patio and entertain,meditate, enjoy a morning tea or unwind at the end of the day.