Marjorie Youngren Team's Blog
Despite their name, ranch houses aren’t limited to a specific region of the country. Philadelphia,New York and Cincinnati are a few cities that aren’t out West where builders construct ranch houses. At first glance, a ranch house may appear smaller than a two story house. Yet, there are ranch houses that cover 2,500 square feet or more.
Ranch house floor plans
This puts a 2,500 square foot ranch house in the ball park of the size of the average American home. Depending on where you live, it could be fairly easy to get a ranch house that has three bedrooms and two bathrooms. You’ll probably get a home that has an open floor plan.
As early as the 1970s, builders of ranch houses were embracing the concept of an open floor plan. Back then, as well as now, if you owed a ranch house, you could see your master bedroom from your family room or den. Not a single wall would separate your family room and kitchen.
The first time you’d see a closure in some 1970s ranch houses is when you came to the bathroom. Instead of a wall, there would be a bathroom door. Open the door and you’re back to a fully open floor plan. It’s this layout that can make a ranch home attractive to parents of young children.
Ease and safety with a ranch house
Toddlers and young children don’t have steps to fall down in a rancher. This alone can add a layer of confidence to a parent. Lack of steps also reduces the need for teens and adults with physical disabilities to work their way to another level of their own home.
With a ranch home, the only time that someone with a physical disability might need special equipment or a restructuring at their house is when they are entering or exiting their house. Wheelchair ramps, including long modular ramps and short,two foot ramps, may be sufficient.
Benefits you could get with a ranch home
This benefit can impact the lives of aging adults too, potentially providing them opportunity to remain in their home longer. Other advantages of living in a ranch house include:
- Great location – Many ranch houses are located in open areas like suburbs and rural spaces. Unless you work in the city, you might be able to avoid traffic jams.
- More privacy – It’s not a stretch to get lots of land with a ranch house. In other words, you won’t feel like you’re living in your neighbor’s back yard. There may be enough yard space that separates your house from your neighbor’s house to offer an added level of privacy.
- Lower roof – Cleaning the gutters will be easier because the roof is lower.
- Increased intimacy – The open floor plan may keep you from feeling isolated from family members who are in a different room.
- Easier to clean – Whether you’re running the vacuum cleaner or washing the siding on your house, the process should be easier and less time consuming due to the lack of stairs and the height of the house.
It’s not necessary to buy a multi-level house to get the space that you want. There are ranch homes that offer as much square footage as a traditional home. Because ranch houses are often located in rural and suburban areas, you may get more land with the house. You also might move to an area that is away from traffic congestion.
ONE FREEMAN STREET, Lynnfield, MA 01940
1001 Foxwood Cir, Peabody, MA 01960
64 Washington Ave, Chelsea, MA 02150
More Info on this Property | New Listing Alerts